Laboratory and Chemical Decontamination
Since 1981, Dec-Tam has decontaminated thousands of schools and health care facilities safely and efficiently. We have a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) on staff ensure that we do this properly. Decontamination is performed by seasoned specialists who are trained in:
- Decontamination methods & procedures
- Personal protection equipment use
- Emergency response
Why Decontaminate Your Laboratories?
- Provide a safe working environment for staff, students and contractors
- Prepare for renovation or demolition
- Prepare for new occupants anytime a principal investigator or research group is relocated
- Clean up spills and releases.
- Typically the owner removes all hazardous chemical containers from the room.
- A site assessment is performed by Dec-Tam. With the customer's help, the prior history of the room is established and potential hazards are identified.
- During site assessment, Dec-Tam's project manager will assist in developing a custom scope of work.
Dec-Tam will assess:
- Fume Hoods
- Glove Boxes
- Sink Traps
- Lab Equipment
- Duct Work
If specific chemicals were used that have unique clean-up requirements, they will be identified. Dec-Tam will provide all materials, tools, personnel and PPE to remove hazardous chemical residues. A triple-wash-rinse procedure is utilized and the laboratory is cleaned to assure occupants that there are no short or long term dangers of chemical exposure. If mercury is discovered in sink traps, Dec-Tam will capture and consolidate the mercury by removing sections of drain line for proper disposal. A final survey of the laboratory is conducted by Dec-Tam and the customer.